20 Sep Side by Side Volunteer
Website Alzheimers Society
Side by Side Volunteers would provide invaluable, person centered opportunities for people living with dementia.
You could enable someone to take part in social and recreational activities – staying connected to the things they love keeping them active in the local community or giving someone the confidence to take part in groups. Your involvement will enable people with dementia, help them feel less isolated or lonely and focus on their individual strengths.
This role will suit you if you are…
· Passionate about supporting, enabling and empowering people with dementia and have a committed, flexible approach.
· Good verbal communication and listening skills, especially face to face.
· Happy to volunteer individually and remotely, yet understand you are part of a larger team.
· Willing to volunteer within service boundaries and to learn new skills.
The impact you’ll make…
· Reduce Isolation: Your role will enable people with dementia to be less lonely or isolated.
· Help people with dementia to keep doing the things they love by giving them confidence and person centred support to stay involved or find new hobbies and interests.
· Providing one to one support to enable people with dementia to continue with their hobbies and interests or engage in new ones.
· Share your own skills, hobbies and interests to shape opportunities for people with dementia.
· Liaising with the Side by Side Coordinator on a regular basis, including changes or concerns regarding the person with dementia, as well as discussing your personal learning and development needs.
This role does not provide personal care, such as cleaning, washing or physical support
What’s in it for you?
· Make a real difference to the lives of people living with dementia.
· Pioneer change and help reduce the stigma of dementia
· Develop and build on your skills and experience in Health Social Care and Community settings
· Learn new skills and enhance and expand your CV
Learning and development
· Access to training and development – attending an Induction programme.
· Access to support and on-going opportunities for personal and professional development
· Gain an understanding of dementia and access guidance via the Society’s policies and procedures.
What can you expect from us?
· You will be supported by the Side by Side Coordinator.
· You will receive one-to-one or group support and participate in agreed on-going support.
· Agreed out of pocket expenses will be reimbursed in line with our Expenses Policy, for example travel mileage.
· You will agree to keep up to date with and to volunteer in line with the Alzheimer’s Society’s policies and procedures.