22 Nov Food Redistribution Warehouse Volunteer
We save good food destined for waste and send it to charities and community groups who transform it into nutritious meals for vulnerable people. The food we redistribute is fresh, quality and in date surplus from the food industry and the charities we work with can be found across the UK. Last year, we worked with 10,795 tonnes of food, helping to support 4,652 charities to provide 21.9 million meals to vulnerable people.
We are doers. We are a community. We change lives.
You will get involved at the heart of FareShare’s food re-distribution, giving you the opportunity to help us improve the daily lives of people facing food poverty. Our daily operations rely entirely on volunteers, and you will be working alongside staff and other volunteers on one or more of the following activities:
Picking food orders
– Make up orders for each of our organisations receiving food that day.
– Label orders and help load the vans.
Assisting our drivers to deliver food
– Going out on a van run across London, making up to eight charity drops.
– Occasionally we collect donated food too.
Sorting food & organising our depot
– Cataloguing and sorting food we receive in the depot.
– You could be traying up tinned tomatoes or labelling stacks of celery.
These activities are physical and will involve some lifting and bending. We will cover safe lifting etc in the briefing.